Monday, August 31, 2009

Cruising with Aussie Chef Luke Mangan


I've been known to eat out a bit (quite a bit), and I love good food. Anyone who knows me (and even some that don't) know that it's true!

And I also love to travel. And though I've never been on a cruise, I might just be persuaded now that one of my favourite Sydney chefs is taking his signature dishes to the seas.

"I want to create an intimate restaurant which passengers will enjoy so much it'll be one of the highlights of their holiday experience", says Aussie Chef Luke Mangan. From December, he will be taking some of my favourite food from Glass Restaurant Sydney to the seas on Salt Grill by Luke Mangan on P&O Cruises Pacific Jewel. Did I heard a rumour, that Luke will be on that maiden voyage? Three more restaurants on three more P&O ships will follow.

As an Aussie, what's also exciting is that "this is the first time an Australian chef has been brought onboard a cruise ship" joining the ranks of cruising chefs Gary Rhodes and Marco Pierre White.

Do you want a peek at a selection from the menu?

SEAFOOD BAR

Oysters - Natural / Six Ways / Tempura
Kingfish Carpaccio, fetta rocket and ginger and shallot
Tuna tartar with ruby grape fruit, wasabi, lotus chips
Salmon gravalax, shaved fennel, crispy onion rings, lemon olive oil dressing
Citrus tempura prawns, wasabi dressing
Chilled prawns with mango salsa
Lobster sashimi, changes daily

SALAD AND THINGS

Rocket, pear, walnut and blue cheese, verjuice dressing
Salt salad: seasonal vegetable salad; slow cooked hen's egg, and truffle dressing
Lobster soup, tortellini of lobster, pickled mushrooms and basil
Glass Sydney crab omelette, miso mustard broth
Seared sea scallops, blue cheese polenta, truffle
Artichoke ravioli, mushroom ragout, asparagus

And yes, I'm delightfully lucky, as we did get to taste some of these treats at tonight's launch at Glass Sydney.

You can also find @LukeWMangan on Twitter, at Salt Tokyo, World Wine Bar Tokyo and South Food + Wine Bar San Francisco.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Becca. Yeah the food was amazing wasn't it?! Great to meet you! Talk soon.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete